Drawing on the Motown and jazz records he inhaled as a kid, Shigeto (AKA Zach Saginaw) blends early ambient nuances with the grit of Detroit hip hop. What you’re left with? Beatsy soundscapes that mess with your head.
“Doing a track with Danny Brown and ZelooperZ would be incredible,” Zach tells us in the new issue. “I like staying local, it has this special feeling. It’s more powerful than just a musician that is really incredible or famous, there’s a connection.” Makes sense – his brother is in Ritual Howls, a Michigan band also featured in the Detroit music folio.
Cue Zach’s Detroit Rising playlist, a heavy hitting mash up of local artists and strong influences. You might pick that a couple of tracks missing from the playlist, Zach’s picks outrunning even YouTube. Have a quick Google and sort yourself out – these cuts are well worth it.
1) Loops by Doc Illingsworth
2) Tainted by Slum Village & Dwele
3) Die Like A Rockstar by Danny Brown
4) A Taste of You by Ritual Howls
5) 2 Hot 2 Wait by Coyote Clean Up
6) Through The Galaxies by Monty Luke (Shigeto Remix)
7) Down! by Kyle Hall
8) Bubble Cougar by Jay Daniel
9) Just Ain’t Gonna Work Out by Mayor Hawthorne (Charles Trees Remix)
10) Bored and Lazy by Jamaican Queens (Nick Speed Remix Ft. Dopehead)
11) Set it Out by Omar – S
Top image fashion credits: T-shirt from AMERICAN APPAREL; trousers from CARHARTT